September 14, 2011

Film School >> While we hide these highs and lows

California Month, tremor #12:

Film School - "Pitfalls" (edit)
(2006, Beggars Banquet Records)

A few years ago I had a friend crop off about two minutes of instrumental noodling at the end of this song, and adjust the overall volume level of it.  So when it comes down to it, this is truly a Blowtorch Baby exclusive.  It's basically just a teaser to get you to buy the album, and their two equally-great ensuing albums.  This song's funky bassline is just perfect, and the careening, psychedelic guitar line is beyond mesmerizing.  In fact, the guitar part sometimes runs on a continuous loop in my head for days on end.  But as with most of the band's songs, the bass is the star.


I bought this CD (self-titled) used at the excellent Skully'z Recordz in 2008, a few months after seeing them live.  I think Film School is the best band out of the last half decade or so when it comes to simply crafting great, memorable songs, which is such a simplistic / vague thing to say, but it's actually the highest possible compliment I can pay.  This album, their self-titled sophomore one, also has the urgently excellent "On & On".  I used to play the video game Pitfall (actually, thanks to YouTube, I'm certain it was Pitfall II) on our Commodore 64 in the mid-'80s in San Francisco, when we lived on the Presidio military base.  I was obsessed with it for a while, and would literally walk upstairs and play it immediately after coming home from school.  I haven't owned a video game system since I got a Sega Genesis for my 17th birthday.

The font used for the new script logo on Harley-Davidson stores is so incredibly badass; I saw it while driving by a dealership in Hammond last week.  Amazingly, I can't find an image of it online, but here it is being used for a model of theirs called the Sportster, so just picture the font used for the word "Sportster" being used for the phrase "Harley-Davidson":


If anyone knows what font that is, let me know.

Here is another cartoon collage I made last Thursday, in the second half of the Saints-Packers game.  I was watching it with my mom and sister, and my sister asked if I'd done any paintings lately, so I said no, but showed her my cartoon collage from 2000.  Then I jokingly decided to do one on the spot; I found out that the Times-Picayune now only has one page of comics rather than two, so it was a bit harder, but it was good as a practice run at least.  It was of course made on 9/8/11 using only comic strips from that day's newspaper, and I finished it at about 11:58 PM, still reeling from the injury to Marques Colston at the end of the game, while wearing my Colston jersey atop my Packers t-shirt...


Planets with similar climates: Spyglass - "Sleepyhead" (2000), The Cure - "Killing An Arab" (1979), Gang Of Four - "It Is Not Enough" (1982), The Comsat Angels - "On The Beach" (1980), Moonshake - "City Poison" (1992).

No comments: