March 17, 2012

My Bloody Valentine >> Don't ask me 'cause I cannot see

My Bloody Valentine - "You Made Me Realise"
(Creation Records, 1988)

Not much needs to be said about this song, one of the most legendary and influential ones in the history of indie / underground music.  Sometimes I forget that the mission of this site was to promote shoegaze music.  I figured it was about time to post a tune by one of my top-5 favorite bands, and St. Patty's Day is appropriate since MBV were from Dublin.  Everyone should know by now that the band always stretched out the pure-noise middle section to ~20 mins. in concert at ear-crushing volume, which causes many a fine patron to evacuate the venue.


According to online sources, this EP was released on 8/8/88, which happens to be the day that my family moved from Olney, MD to New Orleans, and were greeted by a tropical storm.  It was also the week that the Rush Limbaugh Show went nationwide, and I think I once read that Slowdive formed on this day.  The cover art is pretty iconic, and many individuals will probably miss the fact that the girl is holding a knife to her throat amidst the flower stalks, which fits in with the line "You might as well commit suicide."  The video helpfully flashes the phrase "Teenage Suicide" at this moment:



I bought a black t-shirt on eBay with this EP's cover on it in 2005.  The guy accidentally sent me a medium, so I asked him to send me a L or XL, which he did, and even let me keep the M, which I gave to my sister.  I can't find it now, otherwise I'd post a pic.

After wondering for over a decade what the lyrics were, I Googled them.  Finally seeing them made me realize that Bare Minimum may have appropriated the line "insane eyes" for their hit song "Night We Streak, Divine Failure".

I made sure to consume the trinity of Guinness Draught, Murphy's Stout, and Killian's Irish Red today.  I did not have cabbage because I'm not Irish.  Here's video by Irish pop lady Róisín Murphy (whom I once read took 16 years of dance lessons, as you will see), one that in fact should've been a huge hit on this side of the pond:


C is for Cool Runnings, naturally: Illustrated Film Alphabets + Guess them all or die: The alphabet of sci-fi movies

Amber Rose displays her new "Irish" tat!!! - The hottest person I've seen in years continues to defile her body with lame ink, but she somehow gets even more attractive with each one

Best song of 2012 so far: "Wrong Opinion" by Chairlift

Currently watching: Eastbound & Down episode "Chapter 17", probably the funniest episode of any show I've ever seen.  The part where Kenny crashes Shane Dog's funeral and plays Candlebox's "Far Behind" and Pearl Jam's "Alive" on a boombox (before being chased out and having his boombox destroyed) will live in infamy:




Also, I just about fell out of my chair when I heard Liquid Liquid's "Scraper" in a recent episode ("Chapter 15" or Chapter 16").


Plants I've recently potted up, which is horticultural slang for "moved into a larger pot":
Dwarf Key Lime
Pond Cypress
Drooping She-Oak
Bigflower Coreopsis
Old Lady Cactus
Another term meaning the same thing is "bumped."  I don't use it because I find it to be lame.


Planets with similar climates: Band Of Susans - "Silver Lining" (1990), A Place To Bury Strangers - "I Lived My Life To Stand In The Shadow Of Your Heart" (2006), Swervedriver - "Son Of Mustang Ford" (1990), Magic Dirt - "Touch That Space" (1993), Poem Rocket - "Appeak To The Imagination" (2000), Ride - "Here And Now" (1990), Catherine Wheel - "God Inside My Head My Head" (1995), Sonic Youth - "The Wonder" (1988), Feverdream [Australia] - "Never Letting Go" (1995).

No comments: