April 16, 2012

The Make-Up >> I'll throw the first stone you put in my hand

The Make-Up - "I Want Some"
(Giant Claw Records [Australia], 1998 / K Records, 1999)

The once-beehived Michelle Mae proves why she's one of the illest bassists of the century here.  To hear another example of her bass ways, listen to "Type-U Blood," "Don't Step On The Children," and "The Bells."  Despite her ice-queen persona, or perhaps because of it, she was the undisputed indie rock sex symbol of the mid to late '90s, and is now a yoga instructor.  I unfortunately missed a Make-Up gig in New Orleans on Aug. 15, 1997, for reasons which I'd rather not divulge here.  I never liked their name until I realized it has several different meanings: to tell a lie; stuff worn on the face; one's fortitude/character. I can't think of a better song that features handclaps.


I got both of Nation Of Ulysses' albums in the early '00s, but never really connected with them.  NOU and The Make-Up were pretty hit-and-miss, but each had some gems.  This song was released as a single on an Australian micro-indie called Giant Claw in '98, and then on the band's singles / rarities compilation called, fittingly, I Want Some the next year.  I finally bought that CD this past December; Ian said in an interview in horrible local music zine Antigravity that it's going to be reissued this year.


Megan Fox being bothered by a young Daniel Johnston at an airport

Ian & Michelle's more recent band was called the Scene Creamers.  Here's a bumper sticker on a car parked in front of me at the Annunciation Street basketball court last week:


Fri. 13th: Dropped off some plants (Quercus virginiana & Agave desmettiana) at Parkway Partners right before going to French Quarter Fest.  Was given a beautiful Lyonia lucida and Echeveria 'Ruby' as thanks.  That made my day.  I gave away 7 plants/trees this week, so I guess I earned those 2 in return.  Found out the hard way that the FQF now bans bikes, but the nice security lady offered to watch over my bike, so I bought her a Bananas Foster and a fish taco wrap as thanks.  Missed local mad scientist weirdos Consortium Of Genius (C.O.G.) due to getting there late.  Saw Sasha Masakowski (w/ guest Khris Royal on sax on a few songs), brass-rock band Magnetic Ear (covered Nena's "99 Red Balloons" and Nirvana's "In Bloom"), Mynameisjohnmichael (3 songs), Pine Leaf Boys (2 songs), & probably some others.  Was stuned to find the Comsat Angels' album Land on vinyl at Peaches Records for only $5.  I only got here about once a year because they're really overpriced, but I may have to start going more often.  Bought a little silkscreened(?) print by an artist named Jack Wittenbrink at Jackson Square.  Bought School Of Seven Bells' 2nd CD at Skully'z; Scott was shocked when I told him I saw them, since he didn't even know they were coming through on tour.  Went into a little market in the Marigny that just had a sign saying "Market" outside and got some great food.  I coincidentally parked my car literally at the site of the famous Plessy v. Ferguson incident on Press Street.
It was funny when the announcer repeatedly called Sasha Masakowski (Maz-uh-KOW-skee) "Sasha Maskatowski" (Mass-kut-OW-skee), generating much stifled laughter from her and her band.

Sat. 14th: Spring Garden Show at City Park.  Geared up for this one for a long time and was not disappointed. Bought a threatened (that's one step below endangered) species called Litsea aestivalis (Pond-spice).  Also got one each of: Viburnum dentatum, Eryngium yuccifolium, Hydrangea quercifolia, Leptospermum scoparium, Vaccinium darrowii (for my neighbor Don), and Pityopsis graminifolia.  I regret not buying a $6 praying mantis egg case which will supposedly hatch out over 200 babies to eat bugs in one's neighborhood.  Talked to legendary local plant expert & author Dr. Charles Allen for a few minutes.

Today, Mon. 16th: Saw a guy who was clearly driving on drugs go right through two red lights.  His rear lights were intentionally blacked out (totally illegal) in order to look cool, and the whole truck was painted primer gray, a common thing done to a recently-stolen vehicle.  The truck was slightly lowered and had gigantic rims, of course.  The dude was white.  He was talking on a cell phone and weaving through traffic without signaling.  I tailed him for a while and found out where he parked so I could call in to the cops.  I thought it was an apartment complex until I looked and saw a sign saying that it was a drug treatment clinic.  So this little punk was surely on parole and going in for a mandatory drug test; hopefully they busted him and took away his driver's license.  Luckily he didn't kill anyone.  Just had to vent about this, sorry.  Also have to complain about the quality of the Eastbound And Down series finale last night.

The last few days have been pretty great for the Hornets.  They were bought by Tom Benson; they've won four games in a row; David Stern awarded NOLA the 2014 All-Star Game.  The only semi-bad news is that Benson said today that he's gonna change the team's name.

Enjoy this truly mind-blowing series of tweets sent by Jose Canseco the other day, which will be ruminated upon by scholars for decades to come:


Graft punk: Breaking the law to help urban trees bear fruit

Koch brothers, worth $50 billion, sue widow over $16.00 of nonprofit's stock
Related: Online campaign to boycott Koch Industries grows

When tankers tell the truth

Planets with similar climates: Throwing Muses - "Vicky's Box" (1986), Moonshake - "Séance" (1993), !!! - "Intensify" (2000), George McCrae - "I Get Lifted" (1974), Lyn Collins - "Think About It" (1972).

No comments: