April 8, 2011

Bleach >> Stupid fuck, gonna make you burn

Bleach - "Burn"
(Way Cool Records, 1991)



Well, I wasn't planning on posting any more Bleach for a while, but about an hour ago I destroyed my microwave while taking a shower, so I have the perfect excuse to post this song.  (I actually dig it so much that I considered it for the honorary first-ever post on this blog.)  Also, an RYM buddy commented that she recently discovered and liked Bleach; hopefully this song won't freak her out too much...  The smoke when I entered the kitchen was so acrid and overpowering that I could hardly talk and I developed a weird cough.  The last supper inside was Swedish meatballs, charred the color and texture of coal.  The rotating glass tray underneath had cracked into pieces and the sides have brownish orange stuff on them, vaporized food particles.  Amazingly, the digital display still worked, so way to go, Whirlpool company.  I must've pressed 22 minutes rather than 2 minutes before I traipsed off to shower.  Well, seeing as for the last 5 or 6 years I've always entered palindromic numbers when microwaving, I entered either 22:02 or 20:22 instead of 2:02.  It was down to about 5 mins. left, so it was on for 15-17 mins. straight.  So here's this intense, mind-melting song, which combines rap-style vocal phrasing (with lyrics like "You use my head to pop your trunk"), psychedelic soundscapes (made via reverb, delay, volume swells, panning, and other studio tricks), a few primal shrieks, tribal drumming, and other forms of mayhem to create something that is totally sui generis.  I don't know what got Salli so mad at the dude or dudette at whom her vitriol is directed, but I'll have what she's having.  She perfected her badass rap singing on their '91 single "Shotgun," which was re-recorded for their '92 album Killing Time.


Saw a great concert last night (Warpaint, PVT, Family Band) and actually bought both of Warpaint's CDs at the merch table, which is something I rarely do.  I met a dude who showed me his skateboard which he had gotten signed by Warpaint's bassist, Jenny Lindberg (sister of Warpaint's original drummer, actress Shannyn Sossaman) before the show.  I told him about how I had quit skating in 1988 after moving from hilly, smooth-paved Olney, MD to flat, pothole-filled New Orleans, and he told me about how skating is his life and Sonic Youth, Deftones and Tame Impala are his favorite bands.  He looked just like Dangermouse, but even skinnier.  After driving an hour and a half to see the show, he lost his iPhone at the club; we helped him look for it, but to no avail, so I hope you ended up finding it, man.  I'll stick to my little 2006 RAZR phone for this very reason.

Adding this pic on 6/3/11:
Yes, it's Disaster Girl

Planets with similar climates: Dinosaur Jr. - "Don't" (1988), Sleater-Kinney - "The Last Song" (1995), Sonic Youth - "Drunken Butterfly" (1992), Helmet - "Murder" (1990), Unwound - "Rising Blood" (1992).


Currently forced to: Use something other than a microwave in which to cook dinner; may resort to using the stovetop or even the oven.  I've told people for years that Russia has banned microwave ovens since 1976 due to radiation fears, and that microwaving destroys vitamins in foods, yet I still hypocritically use mine at least 2 or 3 times daily, so maybe this was the wake-up call I needed.  You may remember I almost posted this song a week ago after burning my finger on the oven while removing biscuits, so I should probably not be using it without supervision.

Update, Sept. 2011: Here's the photo I took of the situation:

2 comments:

silverchimes said...

I'm guessing that I'm the RYM buddy that recently discovered/liked Bleach. The song doesn't freak me out at all. Really it's quite cool...I just gotta go find that knife.

CHRIS RAMEE said...

Hey... Yep, I was referring to you, the unfreakable one. I didn't know you had a blog. It looks pretty interesting, but I'm guessing it's on hiatus. :/