April 20, 2011

Brujeria >> I have to have... You don't understand

Brujeria - "Don Quixote Marijuana"
(Koolarrow Records, 1999)

Tijuana-based Brujeria had a shadowy membership, and I don't want to sit here and ruin it by listing which members of famous U.S. bands were (said to be) in this band, since it's more fun to believe the supposed backstory... And what if the backstory is actually true?  Koolarrow Records was run by Faith No More bassist Billy Gould, hint hint.  Brujería (with the little accent over the "i") apparently means witchcraft in Spanish, but this band's name lacks the accent for some reason.  This is a bafflingly out-there reinterpretation of their 1997 song "Marijuana," which was a spoof of Los del Rio's "Macarena."  Yup.  But normally they were a death metal band.  This song is from a compilation of Mexican rock/metal bands called Spanglish 101.  The movie Spanglish is one of the worst in cinematic history.  I haven't smoked weed since April '98, for what it's worth... I think it was the night I saw the band Low, but it might've been the following weekend.  I'm not against smoking up, or those who do it, but it just doesn't do much for me.




Note: The next song in my iTunes after this one is "Run To You" by Bryan Adams.  Hate if you want.  After that is "Summer" by Buffalo Tom, two by Burnversion, two by The Byrds, three by Cabaret Voltaire, "Worlds Apart" by Cactus World News, "Quattro (World Drifts In)" by Calexico, "Acceptable In The '80s" by Calvin Harris," "Luchini (This Is It)" by Camp Lo, about 20 by CAN, "Subplot" by Capital Eye, 6 by The Cardigans...  Before this song, working backwards, is two by Bruce McCulloch (of Kids In The Hall), "Nr. 7" by Brötzmann / Van Hove / Bennink, the album When In Vanitas... (incl. "Neither Yield Nor Reap") by Brise-Glace, 10 by Bright Channel, "Monster In A Wheelchair" by Brian Huskey, "By This River" by Brian Eno & Cluster, then a bunch of solo Eno.  I'm referring to my previous computer, a 2002 iMac, which has 4331 songs; my current computer, an '09 MacBook, has only 1355 so far.  I use the old one pretty much just as a storage depot for music and other stuff.  I use the same beach-themed screensaver on both of them.  It's so hypnotic that I sometimes just sit there for a while and let my eyes glaze over, and it's especially trippy to have it running on two adjacent computers.  I should take a video of that.


On a more serious note, please read the article about Dick and Rick Hoyt called The Wheels Of Life in the current (4/18/11) issue of Sports Illustrated.  I don't think I've ever been this blown away and humbled by a fellow human's devotion to his child.  Just read the first page and I dare you to not read the rest.  It's better if you read it in the actual magazine, so you can see all the photos of the father and son in races over the years.  Here is a video piece about them, and here is a shorter one set to a great song by Sigur Ros.


If you don't know how long an Ironman triathlon is, go look it up.



I know all these links make this post look cluttered and unprofessional, but I couldn't imagine culling any of them, sorry.  Can someone tell me how to make them open in a new window?

Planets with similar climates: Soundgarden - "Fopp" (Ohio Players cover) (1988), Mr. Bungle - "My Ass Is On Fire" (1991), Milk Cult feat. Mike Patton - "Psychoanalytwist" (1994), Whale - "Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe" (1993), Negativland - "Car Bomb" (1987), Sonic Youth - "Master-Dik" (1987), Chrome - "Electric Chair" (1980).


Currently eating: Häagen-Dasz* Bananas Foster (limited edition) ice cream; Best Choice sweet peas (twice as big as any other peas I've been able to find); Campbell's Cream Of Celery soup; Winn-Dixie (Southern style, a.k.a. sweet, and with wheat flour as its first ingredient) cornbread; International Collection blood orange-flavored olive oil; Bolthouse Farms Amazing Mango smoothie.  Yeah, I have a fast metabolism.  *"Häagen-Dasz" is a completely made-up phrase which has no basis in any actual language; it was just invented by marketers to sound highbrow/pretentious.  For example, having an s followed by a z is not allowable in any known language.

No comments: