December 25, 2011

Bright Channel >> Were you scared when a chill touched your spine?

Bright Channel - "Airborne"
(Flight Approved Records, 2005)

Jeff's voice soars into a new realm of epic beauty in this song, easily one of the best songs ever made.  And I'd say it's one of the most atmospheric and Volplane-esque songs that Bright Channel has made.  His vocals are more confident and are mixed more up-front than ever before.  The delicate guitar arpeggios during the instrumental breaks are spine-tingling.  For someone like me, this is the kind of song that is truly life-affirming, because not only does it fill up my spine, heart and spleen with vigorous excitement particles, it's the kind of hidden gem that makes slogging through trillions of mediocre CDs, LPs, mp3s, etc. worthwhile.


In film noir fashion, he describes some unseen menace in vague terms, just as he sang about something chasing him in his sleep in "Night Eyes."  In the previously-mentioned interview, after I asked how he writes lyrics, Jeff said "My lyrics are usually simple and a bit abstract.  I build them from memories, dreams, déjà vu's, and subconscious / altered states... or whatever helps translate the mood of the music.  I never get too heavy or serious with the words.  I like to leave it fairly transparent and open, allowing more focus on the sounds."




I will be posting another amazing song from this album called "Out Of Focus," and I recommend checking out the great instrumental closing track "Interception."

Live at Little Radio Warehouse, Los Angeles., 4/21/06, opening for Brian Jonestown Massacre. Photo by Timothy Norris.

Creepy Azn sex supplement box found on the ground by the CAC last week

On Friday I saw a local band called The Honorable South do a free CD-release show at Euclid Records.  The singer told us she had cooked the macaroni & cheese (w/ bourbon), and there was also roast beef and sweet potatoes.  I got a few kickass Psychedelic Furs 7"s, including a picture disc of "The Ghost In You".

Planets with similar climates: The Church - "Chaos" (1992), Colfax Abbey - "Once In A While" (1996), Venus Beads - "Heaven And Back" (1990), Bailter Space - "Shine" (1992), My Bloody Valentine - "Only Shallow" (1990).

No comments: