December 27, 2011

Nice Strong Arm >> There's no room in this room for us to expand

Nice Strong Arm - "Cloud Machine"
(Homestead Records, 1989)

I obviously like the drifty dreamy music as much as the next person, if not 100 times more, but sometimes you just have to throw on a viscerally rocking Rock Song.  I downloaded this EP, Cloud Machine, several years ago, but just bought it on 12" the other day.  It was one of those things I never thought I'd find, so I was a bit stunned to see it in the flesh, and it's #1991 in a numbered edition of 2000.  (My copy is on black vinyl, but it was also pressed on purple.  Black vinyl always sounds better than other colors, so I'm actually glad I don't have a purple one.)  It was the first time I ever just picked up a vinyl release and just tossed it on the store's counter and bought it without even checking on the condition of the vinyl.  If you're into borderline metal stuff like Helmet or Quicksand, check out the two very intense live songs on the B-side, recorded at CBGB by Prong's singer / guitarist Tommy Victor.  (I saw Prong slay in an opening slot for Pantera & Sepultura in 1994.  It seems to me that their single "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck" might've been inspired by "Cloud Machine."  The choruses have a similar feel, at least.  And check out the machinery in the guy's head at the 1:56 mark...)  Aside from England, New York City was simply the epicenter of great music in the '80s.  The guitar on "Cloud Machine" is so expressive and imaginative, exploding the notion of what a "noise rock" or "indie rock" band could be, going into abstract psychedelic realms, especially near the end.  The vocal melody is addictive enough that I can forgive the singer's gruff voice.  The spoken-word backing vocals near the middle are an interesting, mellow touch.  Somehow I think Jimi Hendrix would smile if he ever heard this song (or the previous song I posted, by Bright Channel).


© Charles Schulz, 1970

Occupying something, probably in New York City

I first got into this band in 2005 by seeing their video for "Framingham" on an Atavistic Records DVD called Twelve O'Clock High:


Another NSA song I'll be posting someday is "Everyday An Ambulance."  I don't know if NSA could have "become big," but I think they would've surely gotten a major-label deal had they stayed around a few more years until the Nirvana thing happened.  They certainly had better melodic sense than lots of mediocre indie bands that got deals at that time.

Congrats to Drew Brees for setting the single-season passing yardage record last night, though Tom Brady will probably eclipse it next week if Brees sits out game 16... I doubt Sean Payton would let such a snafu happen, though.


Planets with similar climates: The Chameleons - "Return Of The Roughnecks" (1985), Poem Rocket - "Small White Animal" (1995), Swervedriver - "For Seeking Heat" (1993), Dinosaur Jr. - "Raisans" (1987), Live Skull - "Fort Belvedere" (1985), Broken Water - "Coming True" (2009).

No comments: