March 2, 2011

A.C. Temple >> Final kiss on death row

A.C. Temple - "Chinese Burn"
(Furthur Records / Torso Records, 1987/88)

Yup, the name of the blog comes from this song.  I actually got into it several years ago via a blistering Peel Session recording of it, which I actually prefer over the studio version; I'll post that another day.  I actually used to think this song was called "Blowtorch Baby" or "Blowtorch," just based on its lyrics.  According to Wikipedia, Chinese burn is "a prank done by grasping the victim's forearm firmly in both hands, and then twisting the hands in opposite directions about the victim's arm, causing the tender skin to stretch, making it red and sore."  This prank goes by many other names around the world, but I'd never heard of it and have never had it inflicted upon me.
Note: Curve's '98 single "Chinese Burn" is not a cover of this one.


Update, Sept. 2011 - I'm adding the Peel session version (first broadcast on 7/29/87, so probably recorded a few days earlier) I mentioned above.  You can hear that John Peel introduces it as "Blowtorch," as I had surmised above, so that must've been its working title.  Here it is:


Planets with similar climates:  Band Of Susans - "The Pursuit Of Happiness" (1989), Live Skull - "Fort Belvedere" (1986), Poem Rocket - "Small White Animal" (1995), Sonic Youth - "Brave Men Run (In My Family)" (1984), Magic Dirt - "Eat Your Blud" (1993), DUSTdevils - "Neck Surfing" (1990).


Interestingly, and bafflingly, when searching for a.c. temple chinese burn on YouTube, this is the third result one gets.

No comments: