March 28, 2011

Curious (Yellow) >> Give me your hand but don't ask me for more

Curious (Yellow) - "Taken By Surprise"
(Red Eye Records / Polydor Records, 1990)

Okay, here's a quickie.  I was actually gonna post Bleach's "Burn" since I burned my thumb taking buns out of the oven yesterday -- please, folks, no childbirth jokes -- but fate intervened.  In 1967 a movie came out in Sweden called I Am Curious (Yellow), followed a year later by its sequel / sister film I Am Curious (Blue).  (The colors just refer to those of the Swedish flag.  My mom gave me a little 4x6" one last year because I'm part Swedish, albeit on my dad's side; on hers I'm Lithuanian & Austrian.)  The films were allegedly pretty scandalous due to their nonchalant sexual content.  I heard about the movie years ago but was not excited enough by its plot to seek it out.  Today I got the book for 20 cents at a thrift store in the not exactly hip town of Gonzales, La., giving me a perfect excuse to post this song, which I got a few years ago while scouring the Side Projects section of The Church's discography site.  The book has 250+ film stills in it, which makes it unlike any book I've ever seen before... I guess they had to do that because there's so little actual dialogue in the movie?
So anyway, this Aussie band was helmed by the very Swedishly-named Karin Jansson, who co-wrote The Church's worldwide hit "Under The Milky Way" a few years earlier.  Head Churchster (and then-boyfriend) Steve Kilbey returned the favor by producing and playing bass on C(Y)'s sole album, Charms & Blues, which was fittingly pressed on transparent blue vinyl.  The song's devastatingly cool n' sinister bassline will tell you it's Kilbey before you even look it up online.  The bicycle-rrific video is kinda hokey but memorable.  Jansson was previously in a feminist punk band called Pink Champagne.


The Fall had an album called I Am Kurious Oranj, but they're one of my most despised bands ever, so take my word that it fucking blows as hard as everything else they ever did.

Planets with similar climates: The Sundays - "Here's Where The Story Ends" (1989), Juned - "Hearts To Bleed" (1995), Camera Obscura - "Let's Get Out Of This Country" (2006), Jale - "Back On Track" (1996), Film School - "Time To Listen" (2010), Cat Power - "Cross Bones Style" (1998), R.E.M. - "Driver 8" (1985).


From 1970
Currently eating or drinking: Ritz Cheese Bits; Steel Reserve 24 oz beer / malt liquor thing (only $1.50 at a gas station; surprisingly good); Hubig's pie (blueberry).

1 comment:

Guy Mondo said...

hey, that's a pretty cool tune. a sort of 80s spin on 70s pop in the vein of bands like The Strawberry Alarm Clock or some other band i can't think of right now.

And...
I'm sure Lois was glad that her "blackness" was short-lived as she knew that, whatever experiences she had, she would return to her safe, comfortable white world. But i bet she, and most likely Superman, missed that slammin' body her black self had.