March 11, 2011

Windy & Carl >> Something painted blue

Windy & Carl - "A Dream Of Blue"
(Ochre Records, 1997)


Here's 15 minutes of translucent intergalactic escapism from the husband and wife duo who basically perfected it, Windy Weber and Carl Hultgren.  They're too cool to even use drums or synths.  The other song, "Kate," is even longer and more tantalizing.  This came out as a limited edition two-track 10" EP on blue vinyl in 1997; Windy herself painted most of the covers and Carl painted some.  Anyone who buys me one of these 10"s gets a free lifetime subscription to Blowtorch Baby, as well as a personalized post which will be painstakingly crafted about the topic of your choosing.  This was reissued on CD with a decent bonus track ("Hypnos") and non-handpainted cover art in '98.

Drawing I made ca. '89-90 when I was ~12-13, and have no recollection of ever making.  My cousin Veronica (reflected in the photo) took this pic and sent it to me last week; it's apparently been in the Savannah-based bathroom of her mom, who is my aunt Kathleen, for all these years.
I was gonna see W&C in November '97 at the Mermaid Lounge in New Orleans, but it got cancelled.  I only had their Antarctica CD at that time, which I got as a subscriber to Darla Records' Bliss Out series, but it totally floored me.  I wrote to the band about how crushed I was and Carl wrote me back; he was very apologetic and he said the cancellation was due to illness.  I still have the letter and I'll post it on here when I find it.  In any event, I never got to see them live because they've never played in this state.

Planets with similar climates: Catherine Wheel - "Saccharine" (1991), Curve - "Rising (Headspace Mix [by Future Sound Of London])" (1993), Brian Eno - "2/1" (1978), Bark Psychosis - "All Different Things" (1989), Low - "Do You Know How To Waltz?" (1996), Mazzy Star - "Umbilical" (1996).


Currently watching: V - Getting better each week, though everyone seems to be a double agent, and yes, I watched the original V a little bit in the early '80s, though I only distinctly remember this one scene where V's were hatching out of these nasty, slimy green pods; Fringe - Jumped the shark long ago but I still watch it out of habit; American Idol - Haley Reinhart continues to vanquish those foes who would impede her; any basketball game featuring the Miami cHeat, hoping that Lebrick and Boshmallow will just give the ball to my man D-Wade and get out of his way during crunch time, and that they will endure more 5 game losing streaks; after beating the Lakers at home tonight, they celebrated as though they'd just won the VIIIth of the VIII championships Lebrick promised last summer.


R.I.P. Gregg Spyridon 1/30/53 - 3/8/11 - "Finish Strong"

No comments: