October 29, 2011

Knapsack >> We're not who we might prefer

California Month continued, tremor #39:

Knapsack - "Decorate The Spine"
(Alias Records, 1996)


I almost went to a Knapsack / Trunk Federation gig in early '97, right around the time I heard Knapsack's excellent "Courage Was Confused" on a Magnet magazine sampler CD.  (See the post on Starflyer 59's "The Boulevard" a few weeks ago for a pic of this CD.)  I bought this actual Knapsack CD, Day Three Of My New Life, sometime in the '00s.  For all these years I thought the singer was defiantly asking "Who makes the rules?  Who makes the rules?"  But I just found out the other day that it's "I begged to reverse the roles, reverse the roles."  Man.  I still have no idea what the term "decorate the spine" means, though it's very reminiscent of Archers Of Loaf's indie anthem "Web In Front", which has a cryptic "All I ever wanted was to be your spine" chorus.  And don't forget Ween's touching ballad "Spinal Meningitis (Got Me Down)".  On the topic of spines, I fractured my 5th lumbar vertebra (a.k.a. the L5) while playing football in 7th grade.  I had to wear this fucking corset thing 24/7 for over a year, and the doctor told me not to play football again.  But I was able to go on and play four more years of football (and five more years of basketball) after that, so what do doctors know anyway?  "God knows I'm not sure," as Knapsack would say.  Haha, that was great.

Buckley & Molly in Metairie Cemetery on Sept. 8th, about an hour before the Saints-Packers game which kicked off the NFL season.

Planets with similar climates: Foo Fighters - "Best Of You" (2005), Unwound - "You Bite My Tongue" (1992), The Sound - "Fire" (1981), Sunny Day Real Estate - "Seven" (1993).

No comments: