October 21, 2011

Pocahaunted >> Dub trouble

California Month continued, tremor #35:

Pochaunted - "Ashes Is White"
(Arbor Records / Not Not Fun Records, 2008)


Pocahaunted were initially a dubby, droney, two-gal duo.  Yes, Bethany Cosentino was still in the band when they released this album, Island Diamonds, though she soon left to form Best Coast (a pun on "Beth Cose").  Despite the band's jokey name, and their slogan "the Olsen twins of blissed-out drone," this album is seriously dark, paranoid, and disorienting.  This song's music video ups the ante even further:


The repetition may get to some people, but at least listen to it once all the way through, with your mind.  I was actually going to post "Ghetto Ballet," but changed my mind for some reason which escapes me now, but probably because the singing is really annoying on it.  This album came out on limited colored vinyl in early 2008, then on CD with different cover art & two bonus tracks (the crushingly-heavy "Iron Shirt" and the atmospheric "Time Fist") later that year.

Singer Amanda Brown found herself ambushed on Penn & Teller's TV show Bullshit!:


After Beth Coast left and started dating that idiot from Wavves, Pocahaunted got a totally new lineup, with Brown as the only original member, and adopted a more funky, compact, party-oriented sound; this guy named Sun Araw is one of the new members.  I saw this lineup in 2010, but I couldn't help but wish I had seen the original duo lineup, which never played in my state, at least as far as I know.  They didn't play a single song from Island Diamonds.  New bassist Diva DompĂ© (daughter of Bauhaus' drummer) is one of the most attractive people I have seen, and likes to wear feathers and face paint onstage.  She now has some solo songs out under the name Diva.

Just watched the movie The Saint, which was not at all how I thought it'd be for all these years.  Pretty disappointing.  Yesterday in Lockport I bought four persimmons for a dollar from some people who had a huge persimmon tree in their yard and a sign advertising its wares.  Speaking of the Olsen twins, I recently found out they have a sister named Elizabeth, whom I have decided will be a big star.

CNN.com's top 10 topics for today, always a handy way to gauge what the world is talking about:


Planets with similar climates: Slowdive - "Moussaka Chaos" (1993), Medusa Cyclone - "Blind Witch" (1998), Lush - "Undertow" (1993), Morphine - "Down Love's Tributaries" (1993).

No comments: