October 28, 2011

Suburban Lawns >> Our data was merged and love was born

California Month continued, tremor #38:

Suburban Lawns - "Computer Date"
(Suburban Industrial Records / I.R.S. Records, 1981)


Suburban Lawns didn't release very much music, but they are apparently a cult favorite to this day.  I don't know much about them, and don't have much desire to learn more about them, but I have determined that the band members were actually not nerdy, at least based on this "interview" clip:


Compare them to the legit dweebs who make up nerd-pop bands like Devo, 2 Live Jews, or They Might Be Giants...  I think I got this song on eMusic in 2003, but I'm not sure.

LP back cover

From marriedtothesea.com
I skipped a St. Vincent concert the other day, but watched it stream for free at the Tipitina's website.  She/they covered one of my favorite songs ever, "She Is Beyond Good And Evil" by The Pop Group, and this has apparently been done at every show on this tour.  She/they also recently did a decent cover of "Kerosene" by Big Black, another of my favorite songs ever.  I'm not a fan of covers, but you have to give SV props for those two.

The new episodes of Beavis & Butt-head that debuted last night were painfully unfunny, which was kind of like a dagger to the heart of someone like myself who can recite almost every line from the original series.  So I spent most of my time watching that Rangers-Cardinals game, which is already being called arguably the greatest World Series game ever.  I'm pulling for the Rangers, because they've never won a title, and their skipper Ron Washington is from NOLA & is one of the nicest guys in sports, and I like the whole Josh Hamilton redemption story.  But mainly because Tony La Russa and Albert Pujols are creepy, charisma-free robots who probably moonlight in seal clubbing or illegal arms laundering when they're not busy scowling and complaining in the dugout.

Planets with similar climates: Devo - "Girl U Want" (1980), Hybrid Kids - "D'Ya Think I'm Sexy?" (1980), XTC - "Pulsing Pulsing" (1979).


Speaking of creepy people, check out this amazing article: Is Aleister Crowley the father of Barbara Bush?  After reading it and comparing the photos of the two of them, one's only answer is an obvious "Yes."

No comments: