October 11, 2011

Starflyer 59 >> Time's all you need

California Month continued, tremor #27:

Starflyer 59 - "The Boulevard"
(Tooth & Nail Records, 1996)


I mentioned in an earlier SF59 post that this breathtaking little song was my introduction to Starflyer 59, on a Magnet magazine sampler CD in early '97, brilliantly titled Indie Music Sampler Vol. 1.  The only other excellent songs on it were Plexi's "Dimension" and Knapsack's "Courage Was Confused", which went on to become a cult emo-punk favorite.  Camber's "Hollowed-Out" is a blatant imitation of Sunny Day Real Estate, but quite good.  This was the first installment of their new monthly sampler CD series, which went on for at least 9 years.  (Vol. 2 contained Chug's "Water Torture".)  Anyway, this song floored me, and I immediately put it onto a mix tape I was making for Marguerite Holmes.


"The Boulevard" is the main highlight of their third album, Americana, but since it's taken off of this sampler CD, it might be mastered slightly differently than the album version; I've never owned Americana on CD, just on cassette.  For all these years, I had thought the opening line was "Time's all we need, 'til it starts to flee," but I recently found out it's "Time's all you need, when you stop to think."  Jason Martin's sleepy vocals will do that to you.  I've mentioned my love of slow, "stalker-ish" songs before, especially ones with female vocals, and Martin's vox are pretty darned girly on this song, in true Kevin Shields fashion.  They're actually double-tracked, with a higher-pitched vocal take mixed more quietly than the regular one, giving the impression of a guy and a girl harmonizing.

I'm going to see Das Racist tonight, despite two rather annoying opening acts, Danny Brown and Despot.  I don't feel that great, since I ate some Pumpkin Delights, which only list "spices" in the ingredients, but I can almost guarantee you they contain cinnamon, which I have a food sensitivity to.  It seems they should be legally required to list every single ingredient.  As with every October, I'm having trouble finding non-candy treats to give out for Halloween.

An interesting article I found today: New proof that comets watered the earth

In Amber Rose news, the current issue of Urban Ink has her on the cover and a nice centerfold of her.  I think her 15 minutes are almost up, but it's been fun...

The guitar in "The Boulevard" sort of reminds me of Stevie Ray Vaughan, which gives me an excuse to finally post this:
From lamebook.com, of course... As if you needed any more reasons not to join Facebook

Planets with similar climates: Lid - "Up" (1992), Acetone - "Sundown" (1993), Chug - "Water Torture" (1996), American Music Club - "Challenger" (1992), Moonshake - "Spaceship Earth" (1992).

No comments: