November 21, 2011

Choir Invisible >> Have you got the weapons?

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #52:

Choir Invisible - "The Distance From..."
(Frontier Records, 1981)

This is a pretty complex & intense song, representing yet another winner from Frontier Records.  It was clearly among the state-of-the-art creations of its era, an era which was very competitive when it came to this kind of music.  So of course this band went completely unnoticed.


I didn't like the rest of this (self-titled) album too much, but maybe you will disagree, so you might want to check the whole album out, but don't expect anything else like this song.  It has never been released on CD.  I'm not sure why they buried this song at the very end of the album.  The basslines in this song are really haunting, and the trebly, quavering guitar parts add some suspense.  Pretty much everything about it is great, to put it plainly.  Someone on the site Discogs.com with a tenuous grasp of English commented "[P]erhaps the one I that is most amusing to me is the fact the band photos on back are so strikingly similar to those on Siouxsie & The Banshees Join Hands released 2 years prior that you know there was quite a bit of thought put into it."  This reminds me of a local Interpol-worshipping called The Public who had a photo in one of their EPs that was identical to almost every Interpol photo; they even had their own Carlos D clone rocking some slick KROQ hair. 

Choir Invisible's family tree includes The Adolescents, The Flesh Eaters, The Three O'Clock, Flyboys, and surely others.  Choir Invisible apparently only put out this s/t LP and a 1984 EP / mini-album called Sea To Shining Sea.

Back to those two pics of Alex Wagner that I included in my last post... Something about them made me feel kinda weird at the time, and today I realized that militant conservative vigilantes like to post photos, and even home / work addresses, of their enemies, in order to make it easier for their quarry to be located by that one mentally unhinged Joe RedState who might want to know.  (This is especially done with doctors who perform abortions.)  So rather than simply print Wagner's Second Amendment soundbyte, someone made sure to stick it over a large, clear photo of her face.  And the other photo has the ominous Ammoland.com watermark on it.  For legal reasons, I will say that I'm not saying they want her to be targeted / harassed / killed, but let's not kid ourselves, these are maniacal gun nuts and they pick and choose parts of the Constitution to follow.  

Fun Fact: I had no plans to even mention guns in this post.  The song lyric I decided to pluck to use as this post's title is mere coincidence... and I just watched a movie called Serendipity.  (Bye-bye man card.)

This has been repeatedly voted one of the worst websites on earth, but it's hilarious and has made her a minor celebrity in the U.K.: Ling's Cars

Ling with her nuclear missile launcher truck

I've shown a few of the collages I've made using only one day's comic strips, but this is by far the best one I've done.  As you can see, it was made using only the comics from the 8/18/09 issue of the Times-Picayune:


Usually I make myself do them on the same day, but I did this one the next day for some reason.  (Read each row from left to right.)  I used the top from one of those gift box that you can throw gifts in if you're too lazy to wrap them, but I stupidly didn't buy any more of these boxes for future use.  I should actually put up a video clip instead, because the stars really do sparkle like crazy if you move your head the slightest bit.  I think that's what messed up my camera's autofocus and led to the bad pic quality.

I was planning to go see Indian Jewelry / Prince Rama / Kindest Lines tonight, but I called the club (Siberia) and found out that IJ cancelled for unknown reasons, and local band The Buoyant Sea were added as another opener.  So I'm gonna stay home and do situps while watching Terra Nova, which is supposedly gonna be cancelled soon.


Planets with similar climates: The Horrors - "New Ice Age" (2008), Autumnfair - "Collide" (~1989), Faith No More - "Kindergarten" (1992), The Church - "Constant In Opal" (1984), Joy Division - "Twenty Four Hours" (1980).

No comments: