November 28, 2011

Del The Funky Homosapien >> Then I bury the hatchet

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #58:

Del The Funky Homosapien - "No Need For Alarm"
(Elektra Records, 1993)

Here's another major-label rap classic, which I have made non-downloadable (streamable only).


I bought this CD in October '94 as part of my first order from Columbia House or BMG music club; you know, that mythical first order where you select 10 or 12 CDs for 99 cents.  I also got Liz Phair's Exile In Guyville, Black Sabbath's Paranoid, Nirvana's In Utero, Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle, and probably some other noteworthy stuff.  And Green Day's Dookie.  No comment on that one...  Today I was trying to think about why I bought this CD, and I realized that it was because I was enthralled by the Del + Dinosaur Jr. collabo song "Missing Link" on the Judgment Night soundtrack, which I had bought a year earlier right after it came out.  And I had read that he was related to Ice Cube.  Anyway, "No Need For Alarm" is the title track from Del's second album, and puts most rap from the last two decades to shame.  It has too much bragging for my tastes, but oh well.  AllMusic Guide accurately said "Without a strong sense of direction, No Need for Alarm is frustratingly uneven, rich and transcendent one moment and aimless and repetitive the next. Still, it's a challenging, unique, and uncompromising follow-up, one well worth picking up for anyone interested in either the evolution of West Coast hip-hop or just the evolution of one of its most talented, eccentric, and gifted artists."

Del also co-founded the underground supergroup Heiroglyphics, and even drew their cool logo.  (You can see it on the little boombox he is holding on the cover of No Need For Alarm.)  I bought their album 3rd Eye Vision in about 2000 or 2001, and it's pretty good, but I haven't given it a second listen for some reason.  I also just remembered that Del has done some rapping for Gorillaz, but I've only heard like, two Gorillaz songs.


Today I assembled my new 6-by-8 foot greenhouse for the first time, and then checked out mini camcorders at Sears.  Currently watching the Saints shred the Giants to the tune of about 350 first-half yards; we pretty much never lose on Monday nights in the Brees-Payton era.

Planets with similar climates: Poor Righteous Teachers - "Can I Start This?" (1990), Aceyalone - "The Greatest Show On Earth" (1995), Above The Law - "Freedom Of Speech" (1990), Justin Warfield - "Teenage Caligula" (1993).

No comments: