November 1, 2011

Necropolis Of Love >> I'm looking at something left unsaid here

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #41:

Necropolis Of Love - "Talk" (re-recorded version)
(Thumb Records, 1984)

Yup, I extended it for yet another month...


This song came out as a 7" single in 1982, and again on the band's EP The Hope in 1984.  I have both mp3s, and I can't tell any real difference.  The liner notes of the EP state that this song was "Recorded at Dangerous Rhythm Studios, Oakland, CA in May 1984. Additional recording at Peak Design/Tony Milosz, Berkeley, CA."  So I guess this version that I'm posting (from the EP) is indeed re-recorded.  Both of those releases have cool cover art.  Thumb Records was presumably a self-run micro-label, since all three of its releases appear to be by NOL.

I have to wonder aloud if Tears For Fears got inspiration for their giganto-hit "Shout" from "Talk," since both have similar tribal drum patterns, melodies, and of course lyrical themes.  I'll admit I love mid-'80s TFF, and you should too.  I don't know how close they had their ear to the underground at this time, and I don't know how much airplay "Talk" got.  But I do know NOL got briefly signed to Sire Records, though it looks like no music ever came out of it.  They remain a cult favorite in the San Fran area, but I don't know if they've ever reunited.  One of the most eyebrow-raising band names ever, too.  Singer David Velasquez recently said he described his band's sound as "existential dance music" and as "hostile disco music."

I almost chose not to show this live clip, due to the dance maneuvers, but heck, here it is:


The main thing this video does for me is to clear up the intricate, and yes, savage – you know I love that word – drumming.  I was wondering if it was some sort of hybrid between real drumming and a drum machine, and sure enough, it is.  That's a pretty huge sound from a band with only two instrumentalists, though the singer does play some keyboard at one point.  A gig flyer of theirs offers "complimentary aspirin."

Existential sign at Crosby Arboretum in Picayune, MS, 10/23/11.  Vaccinium elliottii (Elliott's blueberry, a.k.a. Mayberry) in background.

Two days ago I read that Kim Kardashian & Kris Humphries' wedding cake cost approximately $20,000, and today she filed for divorce after 72 days of "marriage."  Refer back to the last sentence of yesterday's post in order to see how I feel about this.  My sister met Kim after the Saints-Steelers game in the Dome last Halloween, when she was dating Reggie Bush, and said that she's very nice in person, so oh well.  I just watched a documentary about this guy named Chris Herren, called Unguarded, that chronicles how his struggles with drugs ruined his NBA career.

Planets with similar climates: The Sound - "Golden Soldiers" (1984), Tears For Fears - "Shout" (1985), The Comsat Angels - "Eye Dance" (1981), Sponge - "Plowed" (1995).


Currently eating or drinking: Shultz honey wheat braided twist pretzels, Dixie Jazz amber light beer, Brothers All Natural freeze-dried banana & strawberry crisps.

No comments: