November 30, 2011

Trespassers William >> If I would dream your dreams

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #61:

Trespassers William - "Love You More"
(Sonik Wire Records, 2002 / Bella Union Records, 2003 / Nettwerk Records, 2004)

This song is from their 2002 debut album Different Stars, but I'm not sure which version: the original 2002 release on Sonik Wire Records (apparently the band's own vanity label) or the 2003 reissue on Bella Union Records, or the 2004 reissue on Nettwerk Records.  Yes, lots of labels have fought tooth and nail for this band.  Hilariously, I had this song for years under the name "Just Like This", but I found out just the other day when researching the lyrics that it's actually "Love You More."  Both songs have the phrase "Just like" in their lyrics.  (I'm not sure if they intentionally named this song after the famous Buzzcocks song of the same name.)  So anyway, I thought about posting "JLT" instead, but decided "LYM" is just as good, if not better.


When underfed lumberjacks attack

I don't think TW are still based on California, but they were when this album was recorded.  The band's name is some clever reference to Winnie The Pooh, but it still annoys me after learning that, and will never propel them to superstardom.  The singer, Anna-Lynne Williams, has the world's best cheekbones, but sounds like she's always on the verge of falling asleep in her cornflakes.  I almost bought this CD once for $2.50 but passed, because I knew I'd rarely listen to it, due to how energy-sapping it is.  I mean, this song even has the lyric "All of my songs are sad."  O rly?  The way she likes to stretch one-syllable words out into several syllables reminds me of Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) and Denise Nouvion (Memoryhouse), and not coincidentally, those bands' tunes are in a similar vein as those of TW.
In order to escape constant scrutiny by paparazzi and to make sure her record sales don't balloon too high, Anna-Lynne has launched a solo career under the alias Lotte Kestner.

I went to see an Open Ears Music series concert by Rex Gregory last night, which was pretty amazing, maybe the most out-there experimental performance I've ever seen.  Who would've guessed that the mild-mannered sax dude from Sasha Masakowski's band and Tarik Hassan's band had it in him?  At 1:15 AM, at the end of 3 hours of mutated sounds, someone in the crowd (the show's organizer?) quipped "Okay, soundcheck's over... Time for the show to start," which made myself and many others LOL out loud.  The whole show will probably be posted in mp3 form at the Open Ears site soon.  They were also giving out "Occupy Your Ears" bumper stickers to anyone who tipped; I gave $5.  (There's rarely any cover at the Blue Nile.)  During the intermission at about 11:30, I strolled over to the book store on Frenchmen St. and bought Quartet by Jean Rhys, which I had seen there three weeks earlier.  The owner pointed out to me that the famous local painter Michelopoulos lives just a few houses down, in the pink building next to Yuki Izakaya.  I had brought up the topic of M. because the last time I was in there, I had overheard him telling a tourist couple that he used to see M. walking around the French Quarter selling his paintings for $100 in the '70s.  Here is a typical Michelopoulos, with thick globby lines, oversaturated colors, and bendy buildings... not exactly subtle on the Van Gogh worship:


My photography class visited his old studio (near where Royal St. meets Toulouse St., I think) in '97, but he now has a new, bigger one.

Planets with similar climates: Mazzy Star - "Into Dust" (1993), Memoryhouse - "Lately" (2009), Velour 100 - "Stare Into Light" (1997).

4 comments:

Seán Rickard said...

This is a terrible review. And I'm not referring to your ridicule of Trespassers William, an amazing band, but to the actual review. It's woeful! You can't write, your little metaphors aren't witty, you said "o rly". Come on man.

This blog is obviously just something you do to give your lonely days some sort of invented worth. Why did you post some art? Because you thought it seasoned this piece of dirt with culture? You linked it in terribly, it has nothing to do withTW, or with music.

If anything, this is a review in favour of TW, because if you don't like it, it's certainly something everyone should check out.

Anonymous said...

There isn't a reaction box named "this article sucks monkey balls", which leads me to believe I've wasted two minutes of my life. Some friendly advice; give up blogging and go find something you might actually be good at!

Anonymous said...

Blowtorch Baby? More like Blow Hard. This has to be the worst attempt at a review I have ever read.

You wouldn't understand shoe-gazer music if it slapped you in the face like a raw sour fish.

My suggestion is to find a new hobby because honestly you have no talent for this one.

Your attempt at sounding witty and full of angst has blown up in your face. Did your mother not allow you to suckle long enough?

Thank you for yet another reminder of why self absorbed, artistic posers drive me nuts. Re-educate yourself then give blogging a try again.

All the Best!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure you meant Marc Chagall, not Vincent Van Gogh.