November 13, 2011

William Hung >> I see me runnin' through that open door

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #48:

William Hung - "I Believe I Can Fly"
(Koch Records, 2004)

Winning is always good, and California is all about running through open doors and making a new life for yourself.  Just ask any of the young ladies who arrive in the San Fernando Valley every year with a twinkle in each eye and a small scar under each boob.  I almost went to a New Orleans Hornets basketball game in spring '04 because WH was singing the national anthem before it, only a few weeks after his debut album had dropped.


He subtly butchers this song up until about the 2:55 mark, at which point the butchery escalates to another level, rewarding the patient listener with miles and miles of smiles.  R. Kelly's original version is one of the ultimate musical guilty / ironic pleasures (in fact, my YouTube name is a lyric from it), but I had never seen the video until just now:


(Fun Fact: The line "If I can see it, then I can do it" doubles as R. Kelly's modus operandi for choosing persons to target for sexual advances.  I am sorry for making that joke on the approximate 10-year anniversary of your passing, Aaliyah.)

Uplifting Ambient Bonus:

William Hung - "Inspirational Thoughts: Perseverance"
(Koch Records, 2004)


Planets with similar climates: Ween - "Freedom Of '76" (1994), Corey Hart - "Never Surrender" (1985), Patrick Swayze - "She's Like The Wind" (1986).


Currently reading: The Raging Pelican, écoulement no. 3.  (Also see: No place for "Raging Pelican" at Tulane, at NOLA Indymedia.)


Most interesting / non-believable YouTube comment seen of late: On Ween's "Loving U Thru It All" - It was my wedding song,and when it was over her father shocked me with his Ween knowledge by requesting that the DJ play "Lets get divorced" right after.

No comments: