November 26, 2011

Constance Demby >> Hammer time travel

I can't believe it's still California Month, tremor #56:

Constance Demby - "The Longing"
(Gandarva Records, 1982 / Hearts Of Space Records, 1988)

Since this track constitutes half of the album's entire length, I will take it down at some point, and maybe put up a little excerpt, because I don't want to just give half of the album away forever.  Constance herself might show up at my door and beat that ass.


I bought this CD, Sacred Space Music, in summer of last year on a total whim at a pawn shoppe for about 50 cents, despite the religious-themed album title.  I guess I got it because I was somewhat familiar with Hearts Of Space Recs., and I'm a big fan of the hammered dulcimer, which sounds kind of like a mandolin crossed with a xylophone, and you know I'm going to be curious about any album with the phrase "space music" in its title.  She plays dulcimer and piano on this track, and the viola is played by someone named Toni Marcus.  At around the 11-minute mark, the dulcimer fades out, and the piano and viola take the spotlight for a few haunting minutes.  Apparently Demby is quite famous in New Age music circles, but this album deserves to be more than just a cult classic.  The other track on it, "Radiance," has some wordless "Ahh" vocalizing by Demby.

J-card from the 1982 cassette

You have to admire New Agers' lack of comprehending that they can come off as cheesy or overblown when talking about their music.  This year I bought another Demby album, 1986's Novus Magnificat: Through The Stargate, but I'm not feeling it quite as much.

In sarcasm-is-not-dead news, check out these Occupy-inspired pepper spray reviews on Amazon, partly set in motion by this offhand comment by Megyn Kelly last week.  It's kind of unfortunate, because in my opinion she's one of the few non-sociopaths on that whole channel.

Planets with similar climates - Trial Of The Bow - "Father Of The Flower" (1997), Macha - "Light The Chinese Flower" (1998), Andreas Vollenweider - "Belladonna" (1982).

No comments: